Coffee Culture Blogs Life

Coffee Culture Blogs Life

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Daily Grind In Albany

Well today was not a successful day in the world of coffee consumption for d2tg. After an unsatisfyingly watery Mcdonalds coffee on route 90 on the way to Albany, the afternoon brought yet another underwhelming coffee experience.

The Daily Grind, near the empire plaza in Albany, NY, had the sign of the kind of pretentious coffee snob coffee shop from which I thought I could satisfy my desire for a fancy and delicious micro batch roasted cup of goodness, but I got my hopes far too high.

Please don't misunderstand, the Daily Grind has some major positives. The store has retail coffees upstairs in a retail setting, with the coffee cafe downstairs. The atmosphere is pleasant, if perhaps crowded as one may expect of a basement coffee shop. The servers came across as really nice and friendly. The visual design was pleasing. Until you see the "Paul de Lima" brand coffee pots. While paul de lima is not in and of itself a bad coffee company (it has many fair trade options and some great blends), I guess I was hoping for some custom blend coffee shop roast. I had the Kenyan Coffee (the best coffee, according to the server) with turbinado sugar and non-organic half and half. It was a reasonable enough cup of coffee, not excellent, not folgers, but somewhere in between. $2.25 for a medium cup of coffee. Sandwiches, cookies and food were available and decently priced but not reviewed.

Personally, the next time I'm in Albany, I'm going to check out some of the many coffee houses near the state capital buildings, if I were to guess, the competition is a win for the consumer, controlling prices and producing better coffees, but the Daily Grind is no indication of this, and I have not been to enough to tell for sure. I may have been too busy enjoying a free ice cream cone from Ben and Jerrys.

No comments:

Post a Comment